customer service

customer service

Friday, October 31, 2014

Customer Service - The Rough and Rewarding

Hello readers;

I've had numerous posts in my head for quite some time but can't seem to sit still long enough to pen anything. And yes, I did reread my last post where I promised to blog more often. I'm working on my time management skills and have even time blocked off "blogging" on my calendar. Who knows, maybe you will see more posts on what is and isn't good customer service.

Speaking of, let me tell you a customer service incident that really rankled me this week.  Dave and I have relocated to the quaint little town of Murfreesboro, TN, just outside of Nash-Vegas.  I had lived her before in my previous life* and we returned for a job offer I had.**

Earlier this week I had a doctors appointment that I swear I had scheduled back in July when we first moved here and they earliest slot available was in late October.  Truth be told, that ticked me off a bit but hey, I needed a check up, I was in no eminent danger health wise so what they heck, yea, pencil me in for late October.  The day arrives and get there only to spend the next thirty minutes facing a  "fill out all these forms" delay. I sit in the waiting room waiting like a puppy to be called back to the exam room only to endure once back there being questioned like I was bringing ebola into the country and then wait, patiently I might add, for another 15 minutes.  Contrary to what Tom Petty says, the waiting is not the hardest part; it's the siting there in the paper gown you've put on backwards at the nurse's request in a room that 15 degrees below freezing.  I'm wondering what the heck is taking so long when a rather brusque nurse barges in and says "Sorry, the doctor had to leave for an emergency C section and you have to reschedule". I then asked was there another doctor who could see me since I had spent half a day there already, to which she replied, and I quote, "No, you are a new patient and we don't do that for new patients".  What?  Seriously?  Why would I ever want to be a regular patient if they can't earn my business as a new patient?  Yes, it's a doctor's office but please, have some customer service skills.  I'm a new patient, you are trying to lure me in and hope I stay a patient but yet you tell me new patients get no perks?  Are you kidding me?  I then declared, and I mean declared, that my time was just as valuable as the doctors and somebody had better see me PDQ because I had already waited over two months for the appointment.  They acted like they did me a favor "squeezing me in" the next day but I called 15 minutes before and cancelled it.  How you like them apples?  Doesn't feel so good when it happens to you, huh?  Probably didn't hurt them, they just went out and played golf, no doubt.  I then rescheduled and yep, you guess it, they have an opening for a "new patient" in late November!

My question for the OB GYN clinic at Murfreesboro Medical is this; are you trying to grow your business or do you feel you have enough and you really could care less about your new patients who are relocating to the area, looking for a different doctor or are just plain new?  That was really eye opening to me; here is this brand new, state of the art  medical center in a growing, bustling town and they don't do something as simple as assisting a new patient by trying to make their visit easy and convenient.  The customer service lesson here? Treat all your customers the same and if they are new, make them want to grow into your business.  Why would I ever want to go back when I have been pushed off, made to feel unvalued and second class simply because I am a "new patient'?  And don't push this off on Obabma care...this falls squarely on the shoulders of nurse Ratchet and the office who has this adopted this protocol.

On a positive note, I love me some Publix! OMG, the customer service, here in the booming metropolis of Murfreesboro anyway, is phenomenal and it was also like that at my Acworth store.  Try it out. Go in and ask anyone that works there where something is; they don't tell you, they walk you over to the item.  For real! And they're friendly while doing it. They say have a nice day and  glad to help you. I about fell out. I thought I had some super friendly freakazoid who got off walking strangers around the store but everyone there does it!  I will never hit a Kroger again...I walk into Publix, they say hello, everyone is friendly, cashiers are nice, bag people don't smash the bread, they put it in your car and bing bang boom, outta there! What more can you ask for?  And Publix always has everything perfect! Clean aisles, neat, well stocked shelves, everything out front. Great customer service both verbally and in person and great service from an intangible perspective too. Way to go, Publix!

What company has made your customer experience rough or rewarding?  And more importantly, what do you do to your clients that could be considered rough or rewarding?  Do they have to wait a long time to see you or have a call returned? Are new clients made to feel important?  And using the Publix example....do you lead and show or point and tell?  Hopefully it's leading and showing, not just physically but truly leading your client and showing them what's best for them.

Customer service is how you build you and your brand.  Let your approach bring them in and not push them away.

*Lived here for 17 years during my younger days
**Can't fit a square peg into a round hole; I am now back with the fabulous company of Keller Williams.  There is a reason they are the number one real estate company in America.  What was I thinking going to work for # 5?!

No comments:

Post a Comment